Sunday, April 7, 2013

If I've Said It Once


 
                                                                                           
After a long period during which I kept my activities to myself, I told my wife about this blog. So she started reading it.

All that she's said so far – apart from the fact that I made some spelling errorsi – is that I sometimes repeat myself. And she's right. But there are reasons for that, to wit:ii

I write these essays as a way of putting my thoughts in front of me: so I can work them out and clarify them. They're usuallyiii things that are bothering me – what I see as society's wrong turns,iv both in terms of its ideas and its actions. I know when it's wrong, but I'm not always clear on how to present the specifics of what constitutes the right path because I've always been so sure of myselfv that I never gave the matter much thought. I never had to. So when I finally get around to doing so, there are times when I don't get it completely right the first time. Not that what I wrote is wrong,vi but it may be incomplete, not having dealt with all the idiotic arguments of those who are wrong. Perhaps I viewed some of them as so unfounded that as far as I was concerned they weren't worthy of response or further thought. Some of the points I've discussed, however, may have been advanced subsequent to my initial essay on the subject. Indeed. I haven't fully resolved all the issues yet.vii Perhaps I will, at some time, have additional, and certainly sagacious, words on the subject.

In any event, however, even when I've pondered some idea for a long time, and satisfied myself that my position is the correct one,viii the subject might continue in my thoughts. What bothered me once may still do so, and I'll sometimes come upon a completely different approach to it which will also require working out. And possibly a new essay on the subject.ix And the reworking of the idea may include some of the words and phrases used before. But that's not anything new. All us geniuses do so – lifting snippets from the past as we create something new. Bach and Mozart repeated ideas as well. I may seem arrogant putting myself alongside them, but, great as they were, I suspect I write better twenty-first century American English than they. (Actually that must mean I'm superior to those great geniuses. No. Let me be humble. I'm merely their equal.)

And part of the apparent repetition may be due to the fact that some of the words and phrases I use are similar to ones I've used before, even if the subject has been changed. But stylistic issues can't be blamed for the situation. More often I don't remember all of what I've written before. And I've expounded on so many subjects that I can't go back and read all my past essays. The result is that I may say some things twice, or even three times.

But, of course, one of the most important reasons is that once you've started along the path of my instruction, you won't want to turn off your computer until you've read all my thoughts, beginning in October of 2010. Thus, while individual essays may have been written months apart, you may wind up reading them in rapid succession, without having left a sufficient amount of time to digest one, and consider its wisdom, before you come across another on the same subject. However my thinking on the issue may have matured, the discussion so soon after you read the previous exposition may seem gratuitous. Development and change may not be noticed and the expression of the newer ideas may seem like no more than repetition. Under such circumstances that's to be expected. As brilliant as I am, I cannot anticipate and compensate for all the different approaches which the subject presents. Live with it.

If I've said it once, it's probably important enough for me to say again.



By the way, it strikes me that another reason why my wife may find my ideas repetitive is that she's heard most of them before when I shoot my mouth off at home. That won't stop me from boring educating everyone else however.









Next episode: “Charity – A New Look” – At it and for it.











i      Actually there were no spelling errors. Some of the words were homophones of the ones intended, but since they were spelled correctly, the spell-checker didn't catch them.
ii     I don't get many opportunities to use that construction, and this is a good time. I don't think I've used it before so I won't be repeating myself. Next time, though ...
iii    But not always.
iv     Things are always getting worse, and I don't hesitate to say so.
v      For good reason. My instincts are so accurate that I rarely need to analyze them. When some fool comes up with silly drivel, however, I like to think about the ways he's wrong and I'm right.
vi     Sir Oracle is never wrong.
vii    For example, the issue of taxes as the source of charity for those whom members of Congress view as needy continues to play an important part in my thinking, and, consequently, I'll devote the next few essays on this subject. I have some new (for me) ideas on the subject and it is possible that some of my suggestions will be of value in solving this conundrum. (I doubt it, though, because the American public, which directs Congress as it “leads” us, isn't always up to critical thinking about significant issues. Fortunately Sir Oracle exists to enlighten them. Unfortunately, however, they never read his wise thoughts nor follow them.)
viii   As I've said, it could not be otherwise.
ix     See note number vii. The next few essays will cover the subjects of charity, taxes, and responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know you agree, but you can leave comments anyway.