Sunday, October 9, 2016

Trust


We're in the process of refinancing our home. Mortgage rates have gone down and we might as well take advantage of that fact. We've done this before and we've learned that one of the requirements for a mortgage is insurance on the dwelling in question. Makes sense. If I'm asking you to risk your money it's not unreasonable to recognize that you'll want to be sure that the collateral is secure. And it's reasonable that I should pay for the insurance since I'll have possession of the house, and I'll have to maintain its value so that it will be in good condition should it ever be necessary to turn it over to you.

Similarly, we just leased an automobile. It is, for all practical purposes, our car. If anything happens to it it's our responsibility – at least for the next three years. We have to return it to the dealer in the same condition as we got it.

It seems logical that whoever has possession of a valuable item will care for it and take responsibility for it. That might mean insuring it, but if it is to be returned to someone (or even if that is only a possibility), the one who is in possession of an item should guarantee its safety. Even more so if that person is being paid to perform a service on it.

It comes as an unwelcome demand, then, that the Post Office and UPS (as well, presumably, as other firms) require a payment for insurance for something under their control. And that's just what they do.

It seems strange to be asked if I want to insure something that they're holding and delivering for me. It's almost as if they were saying “we're not reliable, but that's your problem. Just pay us, and if you're worried about whatever you've entrusted to us, just pay us a little extra and we'll insure it for you.” If they have some concern about what they do, it seems to me that they should pay for the insurance themselves or self-insure and accept the responsibility for their own acts. I know this will increase their costs, and they will raise the rates I have to pay, but I can't imagine the local dry cleaner asking me to insure what he's cleaning. If I'm paying for a service I don't expect to have to leave a tip in order to be sure I'll get it. And I certainly don't expect to be asked for one – however they phrase it.

Perhaps expecting others to take responsibility for what they do is old-fashioned. But I'm old-fashioned.



1 comment:

I know you agree, but you can leave comments anyway.