Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Prolegomenon

 

There are millions of bloggers. And all have something to say. At least they have something they want to say. And, even if they deny it, they want others to read what they write. Never believe a blogger – even me – who says that it's all right if no one reads his words. After all, if that were the case – if he didn't care – he'd either put his ideas in a diary or not write them down at all. No. He's looking for reactions.

Who is the blogger? With millions of participants that might seem like a complex question, but it isn't. Even with so many people, there are really only two types: those who are self-important, serious, didactic, and arrogant, and those who are self-important, humorous, homey, and arrogant. The first group are – or at least think they are – smart; the second group, clever. So where do I fall? Well, I'm smart. I know everything. As for arrogant, I'm above that. And I don't fall.

Another way of dividing bloggers (and anyone else) into two groups is by age. The younger ones know everything and doubt the wisdom of their elders. In the past it was believed that wisdom comes with age. Now the only thing that anyone older than thirty is credited with is dementia.i Well I don't think I have dementia, preferring to ascribe to myself wisdom. And this blog will present that wisdom – my thoughts.ii They may not be original, but they're mine.iii

I never did keep my thoughts secret, but letters to the editor have only a limited reach and I can't be sure they'll be published. Even if they are, it may not be on my schedule. And there's a limit on how often letters can be submitted or published, and to how long they can be. So I'll try my computer at this format. With a blog my thoughts can have international exposure, even if no one reads them. There is an old precept that he who saves a single life saves an entire world. If I positively influence a single person – and how can I help that if you're reading this? – perhaps I will have influenced an entire world. Of course, if my views are off base, and I convince another of them, I may destroy an entire world. But I'll chance it. After all, I know what's right and wrong even if no one else does.

I hope that others will benefit from my wisdom (which is a given if they read this), but even if not, just putting ideas on screen allows me to consider and develop them. I can confront my own rare logical weakness when I see (and recognize) it in front of me, and, since I always agree with the point I am trying to make, that helps me reinforce and strengthen my arguments. I make no pretense as to fair and balanced opinions. The views are my own. If I present someone else's, it's only to expound on why it is wrong. I can say as much or as little as I want. And I can do it whenever I choose – frequently or infrequently. I decide. I have a life beyond the blog.

I also have the option of changing style at will. And length. Because it's my blog, I can do whatever I like. The world has gone to Hell, and so will you if you ignore my ideas. If you don't want to read this, that's your choice – but you'll be the worse for it.



[As of today, March 30, 2012, there are 98 posts – including ones scheduled for publication in the future.  (They'll keep coming weekly, usually on Sundays.)  And I'm going strong.  I didn't know I had so much to say.  Whatever its value.]

[ Update:  It's January 14, 2013 and I've written 151 posts.  Read them if you dare.  Even after I stop writing them they'll continue to appear since I schedule some in advance.  You'll know there are no more if I die or if I notify you that I'm quitting.]

 

Next episode: “Tuck and Cover” – The “Dracula Sneeze.”



 

i   Youth know everything, viewing their parents as dumb. When they become parents they are accorded the same respect. They finally understand the Parents' Curse: “May your children treat you the way you treated me.”

ii   It's my thoughts that I'll present, not a journal of my activities. Other people bore me, and I assume my life would bore them. So what I'll try to write about are subjects like pop culture, religion, philosophy, politics, and things of that sort. If I talk about myself at all it will be in the form of an example, or an introduction to some other topic. This isn't a diary. You don't care about me anyway.

iii  Indeed, I make no pretense regarding originality. There is nothing new under the sun, and many people have the same views. I write this in the expectation that the way I formulate some issues will resonate with the reader better than the expressions of some others. And the presentation will be more or less straight. Humor is not the goal. At least not the primary goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know you agree, but you can leave comments anyway.