Sunday, May 3, 2015

Nota Bene 5


Time for my monthly data dump. Here are some more ideas that I put aside for later use that, now that I'm facing reality, I'll never have a chance to develop. I think of things I want to say faster than I can say them, and I don't want to increase the rate at which I publish my blogs,i so I leave it to you. Let me know if you use anything.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Martyrs Last week (from when this was written, not from when it appears) 148 university students were killed in Kenya. They were murdered for no other reason than they were Christian. They were martyred by Muslims from Somalia.

Muslim groups, on the other hand, declare any of their coreligionists who dies in one of his group's actions a martyr. The designation applies even if the individual soldier is killed while acting as a suicide bomber in the midst of killing as many enemies as possible. (An enemy is anyone who disagrees with the killer in terms of religion or politics.) Other martyrs are Muslim children forced to be in the line of fire when actual soldiers are fighting.

Who is a martyr? Does anyone who dies as a result of religious wars qualify? The concept and the term require clarification.
If you can't stand the humidity, get out of the shwitz.iv – The paraphrase of Harry Truman brings up visions of politicians playing “hardball.” We're faced with images of competition and, even moreso, by the ability to ignore sensitivity: both by the one who deals out the “humidity” and the one at whom it is aimed. If either of them lacks a “thick skin,” he'd better look for another line of work.v

Dealing with pressure is an important part of almost any enterprise. The ability is vital not just in politics, but in competitive sports, business, and school. In fact it's critical wherever there's a deadline.vi In addition, I sometimes think that there's always competition, whenever two people are interacting there's an urge to do better than the other – or at least to one-up him. There's no easy way to deal with life's pressures. Or is there?

Religious rights and discrimination – The brouhaha over the religious rights act in Indiana and the federal law on which it's based can't be viewed as any more than an extension of our decision to outlaw “hate speech.” I've expressed my reservations about that policy many times (see especially “Boy Scouts Lite” – August 25, 2013).

It's worth exploring where religious rights trump laws against discrimination and the reverse. Does the government have the option and authority to dictate what people believe and how they will put their beliefs into action? Does it have the right to prohibit “discrimination” of citizens, or do individuals have leave to act in an offensive manner? Does rite make right? I've weighed in on the subject before and I'd be interested in the views of others. Feel free to speak your mind. As long as you don't harm me physically, I can take what you dish out. At least I think I can.vii

Peace and warI'm against peace. I'm sick and tired of it – at least as expressed by its voluble advocates who accuse those who might not mindlessly fall in line with their beliefs of being war-mongers. I'm dismayed by those who propose it. It's not that I favor war. I'm opposed to that as well. But, sadly, there are those who use their power to impose their views on others looking for a “cause,” and rely on the immature and those who advocate “peace at any price” to intimidate their opponents. They employ those who follow their teachings as “useful idiots.”viii Their shills are so caught up in the rhetoric and the slogans that they don't stop to analyze what they're repeating. It's a form of populism – the form that allows a demagogue to frame the conversation and then fill in the picture himself. Actually, it's fanaticism. Eric Hoffer wrote about the phenomenon,ix and I cannot rid myself of the fear that he was right and thought will ultimately give way to charisma. Who knows how it will play out?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

There's nothing very original here, but these are issue that have been on my mind. I'm sure I'm not the only one bothered by them, but there are other things on my mind as well and, for the moment, they take precedence.





Next episode: "Present Perfect Now Is The Time" Now is the time.







I        Lest I lose the one or two readers I have.
ii       It seems so recently.
iii      Freud and Oedipus are not to be denied.
iv       Steam room.
v        Not just the receiver, because the roles will be reversed soon enough.
vi       It's not my problem. I write these essays long in advance, and I'm a hermit and retired. So I don't have to watch my back.
vii      The Little Engine That Could is the story most associated with this statement but, according to what I've read, it first appeared in 1902 in a journal, and was penned by an unknown author. There were many tellings of the tale, but the most famous had, on its title page, “Retold by Watty Piper from The Pony Engine by Mabel C. Bragg's copyrighted by George H. Doran and Co." [Watty Piper was the pen name of Arnold Munk, owner of Platt & Munk.]
viii     The term was coined by Vladimir Lenin. He employed many of them to popularize his teachings.
ix       The True Believer, 1951.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know you agree, but you can leave comments anyway.