Sunday, March 18, 2018

Eligite Diem


It's usually carpe diem, but scholarly as that may sound, I prefer eligite diem. I hope I have that right. It's been over sixty years since I took Latin and my memory's fading, however I think I'm right, and even if I'm not you probably won't know the difference. Ego caterva, “I hope.” (And I hope I have that right as well.)

Let's start with definitions. We'll get them out of the way before proceeding. Carpe diem, the common expression, means “seize the day,” while eligite diem, if my Latin is correct, means “choose the day.” They represent two different philosophies but are by no means mutually exclusive.

The first, carpe diem, seize and enjoy the day, tells us not only to “play the hand we're dealt,” but to improve on it – to take advantage of every opportunity. To make the most of opportunities, by whatever means is necessary. And it's good advice. Not being cowed by the world we face but making the best of every situation is not only realistic but good practice. As the saying goes, “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” But it may not always be possible – unless you thought in advance to get sugar. So it's not the best philosophy to live by.

Eligite is about choosing, and that's good policy: preparation for what's in store. It may be tedious and tiresome, but understanding the challenges ahead, anticipating the opportunities and when they'll come along, gives you the opportunity to choose the time to do whatever you have in mind. The decision is yours. You act when you're ready rather than react to a sudden occurrence when you may not be prepared.

The thought came to mind soon after reading Consumer Reports, a magazine that evaluates and rates a wide variety of products, telling of their advantages and disadvantages. Those, however, are advantages and disadvantages in the mind of the reviewer. The magazine's articles are designed to enumerate the evaluation criteria, and to tell how each product measures up in regard to them. Clearly some consumers will be more interested in one feature than another and their choices may vary from those of the reviewer. Recognizing the different approaches of the magazine, and how it describes all the features in each of the products it tests, the reader can make the decision.

As a mental exercise, I began wondering about the different days of the year where I live. How would I rate them? What yardsticks would I use? I knew that my choice was likely to differ from others who live in the area. The criteria that came to mind immediately, the ones that varied through the year, were primarily weather and hours of light and dark. There were also the days when taxes were collected and the days that were observed as holidays – not that I work and would benefit from a holiday. Every day is a day off. Religious holidays were also factored in as I searched for the best day of the year. I knew then, and I know now, that my decision would be different from that of others, but I knew also that it didn't mean anything anyway. It was, with only one exception, a silly exercise.

But the one exception was, by extension, an important one. It became clear to me when thinking about desirable days and the criteria that were meaningful for me, that the best way to seize the right day was to prepare for it – to decide in advance about what is likely to happen, and when. For example – and most parents are aware of it – it's better to know when their childrens' homework is due and to “encourage” them to deal with it early, rather than to help them out when the deadline is nigh. “The day” may never come and we may never have the opportunity to accomplish what we want if we wait to seize it. And, assuming money is available, it's better to pay bills immediately, than to avoid them until the last moment when you may have spent the money on something else. Overdraft protection is nice, but if you've avoided the need for it you're ahead of the game.

Most financial planners will advise you save or invest on a regular schedule rather than waiting for an “opportunity” – to choose what is best rather than hope for it to arrive. If it does come and you can seize it, all the better. But if that's not the case you're still in good shape. To get into that position you'll have to have studied all the factors involved, and chosen the best schedule for yourself based on income, anticipated expenditures, and historic patterns of variation of the economy.

And it's best to put off purchases until the days when you know they'll be most fruitful – when you'll do the best. Perhaps that will be on “black Friday” or possibly on the day that your local supermarket doubles the value of coupons. (Or about two weeks before Valentine Day. Prices on flowers go up markedly the week before. Don't wait until you have to seize the day, unless you know with certainty that an opportunity is coming.)

There's nothing very esoteric about what I'm saying. It's all common sense and you know it all. But for most people it's not a major consideration. Yet all it requires is a little thought about what's coming – a little planning rather than a reaction to to what happens outside your control: study and preparation rather than luck. It doesn't always work but it makes more sense than waiting and hoping, and acting, because you have no choice, at what might be an inopportune moment. Deciding, all of a sudden, that you want to get married on a beautiful spring day may be romantic, but not if you had hoped to do so at a particular site, which is not available on the spot. And not if you want others to attend. And not if you want to feed them. Planning and preparation aren't exciting. Impulsive action is far more glamorous. But the former approach is more likely to prove successful, and anyway, it doesn't exclude the possibility of seizing chances. It only limits them to times when they are, indeed, possible without prejudicing other actions. And when you're prepared to take advantage of them.

I don't lead a very exciting life. In fact in many ways it's boring. But it's predictable, and that's a big help. Something may happen of course, even though most things will be arranged, but I can deal with most changes, and I much prefer boredom to excitement if excitement brings risk. I prefer to choose when it suits me, rather than be surprised and faced with the need to make rapid and unconsidered decisions.

So education, planning and preparation allow me to choose the best time to act, rather than to react hurriedly to an unexpected situation, even a favorable one. And I may choose to do so in a way different from my neighbor, who may himself be acting differently from others. But I'll be ready to make a considered choice – even in the case of a surprise. If I've prepared well enough to choose I'll be ready to seize the day if it should come. If we seize anything, though, it should be the chance to choose.






February 6, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment

I know you agree, but you can leave comments anyway.