Thursday, August 3, 2017

Various Thoughts XIII











More grist for the miller. As before, do with it as you see fit.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



I'm dying. But so are you. We're all dying. It started the moment we were conceived. From that point there was a countdown second by second as we approached our ends. We didn't know it and we didn't care. We didn't give it much thought, but every moment brought us that much closer to the death that will claim us all. No human is immortal, but by and large the concept of death is not one to which we pay much attention, and not one to which we look forward – either hopefully or fearfully.



There are exceptions, of course, but they are exceptions. Suicide is tenth in the causes of death in our country, but even so it amounts to only one in a little over seven thousand of our population annually. Another group, more than seven times as large, includes those living with cancer, and for them (us) the clock's ticking has become more audible. The ultimate outcome will be the same as for everyone else, but what we ignored before now takes up much of our thought. Of course I'm only speaking for myself, but since the first diagnosis was made, every thought of the future is colored by the knowledge that time is going by. We usually don't step back from therapies that may cause improvement, but in the end time will run out.



I have cancer(s). Sooner or later one of them will get me – later, I hope. But I recognize that my “opponent” is only a mechanism. If cancer doesn't do the job, heart disease, or kidney failure, or a hit and run driver, or something else equally dangerous will get me. I'm over seventy-eight years old which exceeds the lifespan anticipated at the time of my birth. I've won, no matter what happens. I'm not sure what the prize is but eventually I'll find out (or, though I've won, I won't). So I'm back to trying not to give it much thought. The results of my efforts, however, vary from time to time.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



Since 1967, the Temple Mount [which is a part of Israel] has often been a flashpoint for violence. On July 14, 2017, two Israeli policemen were murdered by Israeli Arab terrorists at the entrance to the Temple Mount. In response, Israel installed metal detectors Subsequently, Muslim protesters attacked Israeli police trying to maintain order and to ensure the safety of all worshipers. (Myths and Facts – Abraham Bard)



The article also noted “the al-Aqsa Mosque, is used as an arsenal for provocateurs. Most recently, the men who murdered the two Israeli police officers had an accomplice who brought their guns in a backpack onto the Temple Mount and left them in the al-Aqsa Mosque”



Rather than see the metal detectors as a way of protecting Muslims and other visitors to the Temple Mount, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and other Muslim leaders condemned Israel. The Jerusalem Wakf [sic] Islamic trust [which has been given permission by Israel to administer the mosque] called on worshipers to refrain from entering the compound until the detectors are removed. (ibid.)



(It is notable that the Vatican, mosques, and other holy sites have security equipment in place.)



Although Israel removed the detectors (detectors like those used in various airports, Yankee Stadium, and numerous other sites), I think it would have been better to leave them as a security measure. If the number of Muslims on the Israeli Temple Mount decreased because of the Waqf's decree – not because Israel forbid them – it would have been even better. But that is not to be. I hope some other form of security – a reliable one – is found.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



My blood creatinine is a little high. If you don't know what that means, it signifies a problem with the kidneys. (At my age that doesn't phase me.) Reading about it on line I have learned that there are many techniques for lowering it, including a reduction in meat intake, increased fluid intake, and a few other means. But these don't affect my kidneys, only the blood test results.





Whom am I kidding if I follow these regimens? Only the people (apart from me) who see the results. And if I receive medical attention I'd rather it were based on accurate numbers rather than tricks. And I love meat.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



But not grist.












July 26, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know you agree, but you can leave comments anyway.