Monday, September 4, 2017

Two Hundred Words




I enjoy writing, but sometimes I don't understand what writers are trying to accomplish. I used to advise prolixity to my children for school assignments, with the goals of fulfilling the requirements and to learn writing and master more vocabulary.



Adult writing, however, should be short and to the point. Writing technique and vocabulary should be solid, but wordiness is not desirable.



In 1970 Eric Hoffer and Lili Fabili established a prize for the best “essay” of under five hundred words on a chosen subject. Indeed, Hoffer wrote subsequently “There is not an idea that cannot be expressed in 200 words. But the writer must know precisely what he wants to say.” The New York Times restricts letters to 175 words and other papers similarly limit submissions. Yet some thought 500 words too short for a serious essay.



Twitter established a 140 character limit for messages. It wasn't elegant but it was widely accepted. Shorthand techniques were used, and it worked.



But I don't like it. We've gone too far.



I know it's wrong, but I'm prolix. Am I trying to impress you or myself. Or do I just like to write. Whatever. I can't help myself.



So suck it in. [201 words excluding the title, and not all are elegant.]











September 3, 2017










No comments:

Post a Comment

I know you agree, but you can leave comments anyway.